16 May 2009

A Book Review

"The fabled clergyman who gave out from his pulpit, "Today is Easter Day; last Friday was Good Friday, but as it was overlooked it will be kept next Friday", might have spared himself these embarrassments if he had possessed a copy of the unpretentious but tastefully produced booklet that reaches us from Burns, Oates, & Washbourne, entitled Ordo Recitandi Divini Officii, etc., etc., etc. (1/6 net). The author modestly preserves anonymity, nor does he betray his identity by any marked individuality of treatment; but his colleagues will be glad to welcome a piece of solid work from his pen, and will not fail to recognize his attention to detail and his terse, nervous Latinity."
I'm sure you'll have no trouble guessing who, in 1923, wrote that?

6 comments:

William said...

Though I can't lay my hands on it just now, I'm sure I remember reading that review in Waugh's biography of the Monsignor in question.

motuproprio said...

If that's not Fr Adrian Fortescue, I shall probably have to eat my biretta. 1923 is the year of his regrettably early demise.

motuproprio said...

I'm getting a special cake made. Mgr RK of course, in that illustrious journal The Edmundian - though as to the identity of the author of the Ordo ...

Pastor in Monte said...

Yup: Ronnie Knox of course. I'm trying to remember who wrote
Mary of Holyrood may smile indeed
Knowing what grim historic shade it shocks
To see wit, laughter and the popish creed
Cluster and sparkle in the name of Knox.

motuproprio said...

GKC?

William said...

Yes, definitely GKC (again as quoted in the Waugh biography, which I have just managed to locate on my shelves).