5 May 2009

EF

Today my EF Mass was a Votive of the Invention of the Holy Cross; answered with her usual competence by my learned churchwarden. Also present a lady, francophone, from Quebec; last time she came, she got 1662 (Canon Romanus interpolated, of course). She seems very laid back about the variations. And a live subdeacon; a gentleman with a foot in the Province of Canterbury and a foot in the Traditional Anglican Communion. He says that S Thomas's has featured in the TAC newsletter. I would like to see what they said.

Tomorrow, I purpose to say the EF Mass of the Octave Day of S Joseph with Commemoration and Last Gospel of S John ad Portam Latinam. I'm sure this all comes under the umbrella of "variations not of substantial importance" from the provisions of Common Worship.

While in Pusey Library to check a reference or two, I noticed on a windowsill a Missal, ALL handscribed, from the (Anglo-Catholic) shrine-parish of Hoxton, dated 1907. It gives the whole 1662 Rite with the whole Roman Rite in Latin to supplement it (propers and all). What a labour of love. But Mass must have been rather long.

5 comments:

S.R. Fraczek said...

Is that at 12:30, Father? Is Divine Office to be said in the evening? I'm in Oxford on business tomorrow, and S Thomas seems to be on my route back to the station...

Fr John Hunwicke said...

Sorry, Stefan; Wed EF is at 7.45 a.m.. And no Vespers, I'm afraid, at S Thomas's. The 12.30 Mass will be English Common Worship, and a requiem, said by my colleague Fr Wright. But if you turn up to the 12.30, it will be good to meet you. As you say, S Thomas's is a stone's throw from what it now seems to be correct to call the Train Station.

ex_fide said...

Wasn't Hoxton the birthplace of some of the earliest anglican missals? I'm working my way through Anglican Missals and their canons from the Acluin Club but so far it's going a page per week due to work. :(

Nice to know the Mass of Ages is being said regularly by an Anglican Priest, Fr. Any plans to visit us at s. Magnus?

Fr John Hunwicke said...

Do you mean Fynes Clintonland? I've never been invited.

AP said...

"She seems very laid back about the variations..."

If she has been attending the Novus Ordo for years, I'm sure she is.

By the way, does anyone here know of any place where I can find a list of regular EF masses being said by Anglican priests?