13 November 2009

Judica me

One of the joys of the EF is the Psalm at the foot of the altar, and the sense it has of human uncertainty and weakness being supported by the knowledge that one is young-every-morning (qui laetificat iuventutem meam), and the wonderful bit where I express my wobbly feelings and my churchwarden in her most robust tones instructs me to pick myself up and get on with it (Spera in Deo ...).

A correspondent wonders how the old Praeparatio might be incorporated into a reformed Novus Ordo. I wonder what ideas you have out there. My first instinct is that in this age of plurality of uses, it is difficult enough to have to remember two or more varieties in two languages of offering the Holy Sacrifice. The other day, coming to the end of a novus ordo Mass (here at S Thomas's we have our Yellow Book, in which the OF is given in English by Cranmer - when available - and in the style of Cranmer - when not) and I turned to the congregation after the Postcommunion and couldn't remember for a moment or two what I was supposed to do to them next. Also, recently, having said in the EF Ecce agnus dei etc. I inadvertently added Beati qui ad coenam agni vocati sunt. I really don't welcome the increase in complexity for the poor b****y celebrant which would come from a protean succession of combinations of different 'uses'.

7 comments:

James said...

I've seen it done in the sacristy beforehand with the servers. Seems like a nice compromise.

Jacob Hicks said...

That's how they do it at S. Gabriel, Walsall.

Fr Anthony said...

I recommend (based on Dominican usage) for the Novus Ordo:

Say the vesting prayers whilst vesting. Say the BCP "Almighty God, unto whom all hearts be open..." and then the "Judica me" Psalm. Go to the altar [prepare the chalice], say the usual modern Roman rite "penitential rite".

Say "Our help is in the name of the Lord. R. Who hath made heaven and earth"

Go up to the altar with the "Aufer a nobis" prayer and kiss the altar. Then say the Introit verse and the Kyrie, etc., etc.

Fr. Anthony

rev'd up said...

I say, begin in sacristy with

1) Recitation of Psalm 84(Sunday), 85(Mon,Thur) 86(Tues,Fri) 116b & 130(Wed,Sat) (of course with antiphon)

2) Pater Noster

3) Versicles and Responses

4) The Seven Prayers to the Holy Ghost (which, of course, includes 'Almighty God, unto whom...' #2)

5) Vesting prayers

6) Bow to Crucifix (please, don't say "Let us go forth..." that's for Palm Sunday)

7) Ring the bell!

8) Say the Preparation so everyone can hear, in a clear voice (though it's better if folks don't participate - it's between the celebrant and the competent minister)

9) Proceed as usual, with caution.

**WARNING!**

Doing it the right way may incur super-abundant grace. Please, be advised of the consequences.

Christian said...

Saying or attending different rites can be very confusing. I never cease to be amused by how many times I have been to the 6pm Latin OF Mass at the London Oratory and the entire congregation and celebrant have got about half way through the EF confiteor before having to start again with the new form.

servusmariaen said...

Would it possible in the modern Roman rite to incorporate the Asperges/Vidi Aquam at the beginning of the Mass and then go straight away to the Kyrie and if so what would that look like? where would the Judica me be recited in this instance?

David said...

I know it makes great sesne to say "Intoibo ad altare Dei" in the sacristy but what a feeling of awe there is when a priest stands at the foot of the altar, especially if it is a splendid High Altar, and with his eyes towards that altar says those words!