18 September 2010

Newman and "The Anglican Patrimony"

Many people ask what is this Anglican Patrimony of which our beloved Holy Father wrote in Anglicanorum coetibus. I believe dear old Archdeacon ... oops, Cardinal Manning summed it up thus:

I see much danger of an English Catholicism of which Newman is the highest type. It is the old Anglican, patristic, literary, Oxford tone transplanted into the Church.

I have often wondered whether our own Henry 'Patrimony' Chadwick had Manning's words consciously in mind when he wrote

The fact that [Newman] had been converted to Catholicism by Oxford and the study of the Church Fathers, not by any personal friendship with Roman Catholics, meant that everything he wrote and said sounded almost Anglican.

My feeling is that Ordinariate members ought not to think of themselves as former Anglicans but as Anglicans; qualifying the term, if context requires such clarification, by the phrase " in communion with the Holy See". I gather Melkites like calling themselves "Orthodox in communion with Rome". United but not absorbed, as they said at Malines.


8 comments:

Joshua said...

"the old Anglican, patristic, literary, Oxford tone transplanted into the Church" - sounds great!

But do mix into it some good Fr Faber Baroquery in honour of dear Mamma (as he called Our Lady):

"Had I but Mary's sinless heart
To love Thee with, my dearest King,
O! with what bursts of fervent praise
Thy goodness, Jesus, would I sing..."

Fr John Abberton said...

There was (I don't think it is quite as bad now) an "English" Catholicism which I do not like. It has nothing to do with Newman but contained some elements that would have sniffed at him and his writings. I encountered it at Ushaw College when I was a student. Being a working-class lad I found the kind of English - perhaps recusant - kind of tradition there rather removed and a bit "snooty". This has nothing to do with Newman, but please be careful. There may well be an "Anglican Style" of Catholicism but it should be of value to the whole Church and not see itself as somehow removed from the "others".
I just mention this because the last thing we need is the kind of "Patrimony" that looks down its nose at others. We have much to share and I look forward to it, but being born an RC of part-Irish ancestry I consider myself as "English" as anyone else - and a true Yorkshireman, so I am an English Catholic - and just as much as anyone will be in the Ordinariate.

fieldofdreams2010 said...

Alas, Father, I am not an Oxford man, though I might, if I had been a bit cleverer, have been a Cambridge man. I hope that does not exclude me from Anglican patrimony.
I am quite a fan of Cardinal Manning, whose claim to sanctity rests on the love of the poor for whom he fought so hard.

Joshua said...

Further to my comment - the fact that, of all things, it was the very Roman, very Counter-Reformation, Oratory of St Philip Neri, in its unique combination of truly charismatic freedom under grace, inspired by the unique figure of St Philip himself, that vessel of the Holy Ghost, that attracted Newman, shews how he brought together all ages of the Church, just as did St Philip.

Rubricarius said...

"...Anglican Patrimony of which our beloved Holy Father wrote in Anglicanorum coetibus"

But +Rowan Cantaur didn't write Anglicanorum coetibus...

fieldofdreams2010 said...

Rubricarius, I am reminded of the schoolboy howler recounted by Geoffrey Fisher: "What is Cantuar (or, if you like, Cantaur)?"
"Cantuar is half man, half horse."

Father Mervyn Jennings said...

I warm to the idea of Anglicans in Communion with the Holy See,

Nârwen said...

>"the old Anglican, patristic, >literary, Oxford tone >transplanted into the Church"

Of course, when Archbishop Manning wrote that he meant it as an insult to the now-Blessed . In his view, the 'Oxford tone' was an alien element and the Church should not even try to assimilate it.
Somehow, I doubt that Manning would have approved of the Pastoral Provision or Anglicanorum Coetibus .